Hiroshima and Miyajima

 We got up and hopped on the Shinkansen for Hiroshima (actually we took a local train to another station to get the Shinkansen and then switched to another Shinkansen in Kobe). We arrived in Hiroshima and our guide Mayumi (who we met on our last trip to Japan) met us on the station platform. We began with an Hiroshima Okonomiyaki for lunch, which was yummy.

Then we went to the Peace Park and the atomic bomb museum, which was depressing but very good. I don’t know how anyone can contemplate using such a horrible device again. 

We got on a boat and went down the river and across a channel to the island of Miyajima. There are wild deer wandering around the island - Milo had fun taking photos of them.

After checking into our hotel we went out for dinner and ate some oysters- we’d seen the oyster farms on the way over on the boat. They also were yummy, though I must admit I ate mine fried instead of raw. Our hotel is more Japanese style and we left our shoes in the foyer, but I had booked real beds - Dave and I aren’t up for sleeping on the floor.

Miyajima seems like it would be a lovely relaxing place to spend a few days, but we’re leaving tomorrow.








Comments